Join those changing the future of shrimp aquaculture
Achieving our vision for the sustainable future of shrimp aquaculture involves engaging more small and mid-sized farms in working towards the highest levels of environmental and social performance in order to produce the highest quality shrimp. By including more farms and regions into the SSP program we hope the raise the performance of the sector as a whole.
With the support and guidance of the SSP Advisory Board – IDH The Sustainable Trade Initiative, World Wildlife Fund (WWF), and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) – we have developed the SSP Scale-up programme.
The SSP Scale Up Programme defines and facilitates a trajectory for any producer who wishes to improve their sustainability performance, and work towards achieving the SSP product qualification criteria. A bottoms-up approach to drive improvements in farm performance over time it is established in 3 levels:
- Export Fit: SSP will support farms and assist in the implementation of better management practices and prepare them for international markets.
- ASC: Farms will enter an ASC pre-assessment to help determine areas for improvement to achieve the ASC certification.
- SSP: Support Farms to meet SSP additional criteria: Zero Antibiotics, Traceability, Neutral Impact on Water.
Since 2019, through SSP Scale Up Programme we have been working with many small and mid-sized shrimp farms located in different cities of Ecuador, implementing activities such as:
- 15 technical workshops have been organized with Producers Associations as well as individual producers in Hualtaco, Bahía de Caráquez, Pedernales, Balao, Guayaquil and Esmeraldas.
- More than 300 shrimp producers have been trained in different subjects, including: Legal and Environmental requirements for shrimp production in Ecuador; better aquaculture practices; and ASC Standard Scheme, requirements to obtain this international certification.
- 46 farms in Hualtaco have received individual training sessions as well as pre-audits to verify the compliance of ASC Standard requirements to ultimately obtain the certification.
Supporters of the Scale Up Programme:
Interested in contacting SSP?